Donairs are a delicacy prevalent in the Canadian east coast, and certainly centered on the City of Halifax, the are very simple to prepare and very delicious.
Even if you don’t have a rotating spit, you can still make a pretty tasty donair from home, using a steak, some marinade and your oven.
Add the meat to a warmed pita, top with tzatziki, hummus, tomato, cucumber, olives, shredded lettuce and feta and you’ve got yourself a delicious donair or “doner” sandwich.
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 pounds steak (inexpensive cuts work well as you’ll be thinly slicing and marinating them)
- Other Ingredients:
- • Diced cucumber
- • Diced tomato
- • Shredded lettuce
- • Sliced black olives
- • Tzatziki
- • Hummus
- • Pita bread (get the thick bread, not the thin hollow pita shells)
- • Shredded feta
- Slice the steak into very thin slices.
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a bowl or container with a lid and mix well.
- Add the steak and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Place the marinade and steak into an oven-safe dish with a lid and place in the oven at 350 F for about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the steak from the marinade and prepare to serve.
- Heat the pita bread in a 350 F oven for about 8 minutes.
- Spread tzatziki and hummus on the bread.
- One one side, top with a desired amount of meat, cucumber, tomato, olives, lettuce and feta. Then fold in half and enjoy
This recipe requires time for marinating (a few hours to overnight) and about 45 minutes.
You can find Tzatziki in most ethnic aisles or on amazon: Wicked Gourmet Tzatzki Dip Mix