I have actually had this at her house and it is AMAZING! I like onions, but I don’t LOVE onions. This, I loved!
From Minnie: This is a favorite easy summer recipe my mom recently shared with me – it tastes like you’re biting into French onion soup! It became one of our favorites after only one taste. Hubby grilled out this evening (Brined & BBQ’d Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Grilled Parmesan Zucchini, and Grilled Yellow Squash Slices) and it was easy to make a couple of these in no time at all. Everything from the grill was fantastic alongside Steamed Fresh Brussel Sprouts, cubed Cantaloupe, Sliced Fresh Tomatoes, and our large Green Salad. A Gigantic feast but oh so Yummy!!!
- 2 whole sweet onions (I used Vidalia®)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons low calorie margarine, divided
- 2 12×12-inch squares aluminum foil
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Hubby used his gas grill, but any kind would work fine. (My mom actually uses a plastic container to cook hers in the microwave.)
- Peel brown outer layers from onions. Using a sharp knife, cut a cone-shaped core from the top of each onion, about ⅔ of the way into the vegetable. The core should be about 1½ inches wide at the top. Insert a bouillon cube into the hollowed-out space in each onion. Top each with 1 teaspoon of margarine. Wrap each filled onion in a single sheet of aluminum foil, leaving a small vent at the top of each.
- Set the foil-wrapped onions on the preheated grill vent-sides up, and grill until onions are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.