From Minnie: People in some areas may serve polenta…but we are in the south, so we serve grits! Grits topped with gravy or alongside an egg…grits with fish or alongside a slab of ham. Anyway, anytime…we love grits! And this recipe is no exception. It is delicious as a side for whatever protein you happen to be serving. It is easy as can be…very filling…and just simply delicious!
- PAM spray
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1¼ cups bottled spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup dry grits, cooked according to directions on package
- Salt & pepper to taste
- shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or grated parmesan (optional)
- Spray medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they just begin to give up their liquid, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and cook until the Hunter Sauce is slightly thickened. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Top prepared grits with Hunter Sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella or parmesan over top, if desired.