From Minnie: Do you ever need to whip up something healthy and delicious in a hurry? Well, you can’t get much healthier or faster than this blackened fish! We made it tonight with “Green Trout” fillets that a friend brought us, but it can be made with just about any firm fish that has fillets about 1/2” to 3/4” thick.
This recipe is fantastic because it is filled with flavor, low in calories, easy as pie, quick as can be, and oh so good for you!!!
We always love a lot of fresh veggies and fruits with our meals, so some nice green beans, some sautéed mushrooms, a lovely green salad, and an orange coconut salad for dessert made for a wonderfully nutritious and yummy meal this evening! Omigosh, was it good! We cooked six fillets for the two of us (hoping there would be a couple left for hubby’s lunch tomorrow)…but no such luck! We ate all six and both of us said that we could have cooked and eaten the entire sack of 15 fillets our friend brought by — all at this meal! We will definitely cook the rest soon!
- Bass fillets (also known as Green Trout or Largemouth Bass in some areas)
- Olive Oil (I like Cucina Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but any good quality olive oil will do)
- Zatarain’s Blackened Seasoning (or your favorite blackened seasoning brand)
- Moisten both sides of each fillet (either with water, prepared mustard, or cooking spray), and coat with blackening powder. (I used olive oil spray and about 1 Tbsp. powder per
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil per fillet in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is almost smoking, add the fillets and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until the fish is opaque and can be flaked with a fork.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
- You might wish to add your favorite sauce over the fish, but we are watching our weight and loved it just the way it came out of the pan.
Where to Buy:
- Cucina Antica Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 16.9-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)
- Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer
- Zatarains Blackened Seasoning
This would also be just as tasty on a sandwich or in a taco.